The Riu Guanacaste is located on the beach and about a 45 minute drive from the airport in Liberia.
700 rooms, FREE WIFI in the lobby(for your own laptop) and it is amazingly fast, great for making Skype calls. Blackberries do not work here yet.
There are computers in the sports bar if you don't bring your own and the charge is $5US for 30 minutes of internet access
Electrical current here is 110v so no need for adapters for North American plugs.
If you've been to other Riu Resorts you won't be disappointed with this one.
All the same amenities, mini bar in your room, that is replenished regularly, a gym, spa facilties, casino and disco.
Getting married or renewing your vows contact the hotel they do it right. Canadian singer Chantal Kreviazuk renewed her vows here, and was broadcast nationwide on ET Canada.
4 Restaurants, a 24 hr sports bar and a long beach perfect for those long walks you want to take.
Playas del Coco is the closest town, reached by taxi or boat. Lots of restaurants and bars, plus 2 supermarkets. You can book this package with Sunquest Vacations a Canadian tour operator, offering direct flights to Costa Rica from Toronto.
Plenty of choices for adventure excursions, ziplining is close by, white water rafting, about an hour away.
Some of the excursions offered and approximate prices per person in US dollars:
Arenal Volcano & Rainforest - $130 full day
Palo Verde National Park - $65 half day
White Water Rafting - $135 ful day
Canopy Tour & Hot Springs (Mega Combo) $132- fullday
Horesback riding to Miravalles Waterfalls $110
Rincon de la Vieja National Park $79
You can arrange the above excursions through the Sunquest rep located in the lobby of the hotel.
Currrency here is the Costa Rican Colon one US Dollar will get you about 540 colones. ATM's wil dispense colones and US Dollars, you can pay for tours with dollars or credit cards but if you decide to take the local bus or grab a quick snack use the local currency. No ATM at the hotel but there is one at the airport and several in Liberia. You'll pass a Scotia Bank on the way from the airport to the hotel and you'll find one there as well.
For those of you that need to satisfy a thirst, most popular local beer is Imperial, and Bavaria, usual assortment of American and imported beers is also available. For something a little different and refreshing try a Horchata... a corn based drink made with milk and sugar and a gritty consistency, it's a good thirst quencher.
Quick Facts on Costa Rica
• Official Name: Republic of Costa Rica
• Population: 4.1 million.
• Capital City: San José
• Location: Costa Rica is in Central America, bordered by Nicaragua on the North, Panama on the South, the Pacific Ocean on the West, and the Caribbean Sea on the East.
• Size: 19,652 square miles
• Language: Spanish. Many people speak a little English.
• Currency: Costa Rican Colon
• Electricity: 120 Volts 60Hz
• People are officially called Costa Ricans, but call themselves "Ticos."
• Costa Rica’s main exports are computer chips, coffee, bananas, textiles and sugar. 40% of the country's income is related to tourism
• The average wage for a laborer is about $10 per day, the highest in Central America.
• Costa Rica has one of the highest literacy rates in the world: 95% of people age 15 or over can read and write.
• The rainy season lasts from May to December.